Parents are First Teachers

Home

Parents as the First and Foremost Teachers
As your child’s kindergarten teacher, I am but one formal instructor that your child will encounter along life’s many milestones. You, the parents, are your child’s first and foremost teachers. You are the constant in their lives. Enjoy the victories as well as the defeats as you strive to be relentless. I am thrilled to be a part of your child’s spirit and am delighted to have him/her in my classroom. I will be forever grateful for the love and learning I experience. Thank you for everything you do. Keep up the good work.
Evon McCurley

Excerpt taken from www.foreverfamilies.net/xml/articles/parents_first_teachers.aspx
. . . The Family: A Proclamation to the World states that "parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness”. Many of today's scholars support this statement. Family science and child development researchers everywhere are emphatic that good parenting is vital. From the earliest preschool years, the way parents teach and rear their children is critical to their children's development throughout life.
Mom and Dad, that means that your children's education doesn't begin when they go off to kindergarten. It begins in your home--with you as the teachers, even if you are not living together as husband and wife.
Studies show that the most crucial years of learning take place before a child is old enough to enter school. Researchers say that no amount of formal teaching can compare to the influence of parents, who teach every day by word and example.
Burton White of Harvard University writes: "The informal education that the family provides for their children makes more of an impact on a child's total education than the formal education system. If a family does its job well, the professional [teacher] can then provide effective training. If not, there may be little a professional can do."

As a child's first teachers, you as parents are in a unique position to influence early learning in a variety of ways.

Excerpt taken from Mem Fox’s Reading Magic

. . . Brain research reveals that the early years of life are more critical to a child’s development than we realized. Children’s brains are only 25 percent developed at birth. From that moment, whenever a baby is fed, cuddled, played with, talked to, sung to, or read to, the other 75 percent of its brain begins to develop. And the more stimulation the baby has through its senses of touch, taste, smell, sight, and hearing, the more rapidly that development will occur. It’s as if the brain were an excited acrobat learning fantastic tricks with every new piece of information, with every scrap of new stimulation. Amazing though it may seem, the crucial connections that determine how clever, creative, and imaginative a child will be are already laid down by the time that child turns one.

Home